Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Rebekah Lucy Loves The Lumineers

"I feel her filth in my bones, wash off my hands 'til it's gone. The walls they're closing in, with velvet curtains. Some love was made for the lights, some kiss your cheek and goodnight. Lift up a red high heel, lock up your doors with steel. They're makin' noise in my street, my blinds are drawn I can't see. Smashed in my car window, didn't touch the stereo. Slow it down, Angie come back to bed. Rest your arms, and rest your legs..."

Their claim to fame is of course Ho, Hey which gets stuck in my head about six times a week. Last year it appeared on television commercials in the UK for Bing and E.ON, as well as on multiple television shows and movie soundtracks, so I'm sure by now everyone knows who The Lumineers are.

Late last year LP got her paws on a pair of tickets for us to go and see them in Brixton this week. Be jeal.

Photo pinched from www.gigwise.com because my own photos were terrrrrrrible.

Their self-titled debut album is pretty mellow going and I have to admit I use it as dish-washing music, but that doesn't mean I don't love it. I need something to get me through those long hours at the kitchen sink! So in its own way, that's a total compliment. (Is it though?)

One Mr Langhorne Slim opened the show. I was completely unfamiliar with him, but I'll make a point of checking his music out now - you know, so I can expand my dish-washing playlist. The Lumineers joined him on stage for a quick duet, and then disappeared again. Then we waited... and waited. Maybe I'm just a bit old and tired for Monday night gigs but it seemed like they were gone for aaaaages. Never fear! They made up for it when they (re)took to the stage - they were easily as good live as they are recorded. I love that they all play instruments and sing - and that they genuinely look like they're having a good time doing their thing. The tiny Miss Neyla Pekarek is adorbly enthusiastic on stage. And Wesley Schultz is kind of a babe. Just saying.

Photo pinched from www.entertainmentwise.com because my own photos were terrrrrrrible.

Trust me, I like a bit of manufactured, flashy pop fun (I saw Gaga back in 2009 on her Monster Ball Tour and it was immense) but it's kind of refreshing when these folky-rocky artists strip it back and keep it all about the music, man. There was no branded backdrop or fancy stage set, just genuinely good musicians making genuinely good music. Bonus points to them for making a departure from the standard and doing Ho, Hey quite early on in their set. That over-rehearsed encore thing which everyone knows is coming really does my head in (ahem, We Are Augustines, something to keep in mind for next time please).

I'm no music reviewer (duh) but all in all, good times were had. Singing along to Big Parade, Submarine  and Slow It Down was good fun - more so for me than the people standing next to me I suspect. I'll be seeing them again at Reading Festival in August. Chalk that up to a win.

2 comments:

  1. OMG, I LOVE the Lumineers, they are like the most favorite band of all times for me, seriously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you had a chance to check them out live? They were super good! :)

      Delete

Thanks for sharing your two cents!