Monday, March 18, 2013

Rebekah Lucy Loves Borough Market

My first experience of Borough Market was in the London summertime - I sat on the grass by Southwark Cathedral with Ants, Michelle, Drew and Kugan, drinking prosecco and eating mussels and wild boar sausages. Then it rained, because this is London, and we ran across to Brew Wharf Yard to discover the colourful umbrellas, take photos of our jandalled feet in the puddles, drink overpriced wine, and eat prawn wraps which we had smuggled in with us. Sneaky.

If I lived closer to Borough I would go every weekend, I swear. For the time being I'll settle for semi-regularly. On Saturday, before heading across to the Tate Modern for some Lichtenstein (Rebekah Lucy Also Loves Pop Art by the way) I met up with Annalies, Hobbs and the freshly-landed Kate. First stop: Monmouth Coffee. First stop is always Monmouth Coffee. I come from a land down under country which is renowned for its excellent coffee, but I really never drank it until I moved to this side of the world. I probably took up the sometimes-habit on account of being cold all of the time. But forget Starbucks and Costa. Monmouth all the way.

Enjoying a spot of Monmouthery with Annalies.

Annalies hadn't seen the umbrellas over at Brewer Wharf Yard so we popped across the road to snap some photos. Poignant, I guess, as it was raining again.

Reflections and puddles. Umbrellas @ Brewer Wharf Yard.

You can stand under my um-ba-rella ella ella ay ay ay. Because I have, like... fifty of them.

Then, armed with giant cups of mulled cider and a new rhyme - "Women have many faults, men have just two - everything they say, and everything they do," we headed back in to the markets and made our way through the crowds, which were slightly less cray than usual on account of the rain, for samples of biltong, cheese, brownie, jam, mushroom pate, cereal, nougat, fruit, whatever we could get our little paws on.

Hobbs. Too excited for words.

Hot & Spicy Cider.

Yum, yum, yum.

16 year month old comte. Soooo mature.

I don't even like mushrooms. But this. THIS. Zomg.

The stalls have had a bit of a reshuffle and I couldn't! find! the! prawn! wraps! But I did partake in a pulled pork number which was very tasty too. I think if I was a real adult (I am 30 soon so maybe I'll give it a crack...) I'd be sensible and buy things like fresh fruit and vegetables to get me through the week, but I much prefer to spend my pennies on delicious snacks to shove in my face on the spot.

Owl cookies! Too cute!

Om nom nom, as they say.

Ponging up the place.

Pretty sweet treats.

I officially cannot wait for Summer picnic season. Pimms, bread, cheese and olives in the sun. Yes please.

1 comment:

Thanks for sharing your two cents!