Thursday, January 24, 2013

Rebekah Lucy Loves The Phantom of the Opera

Well, not the Phantom himself - he's a bit creepy, and disfigured and what not (shallow!)... but the stage production at Her Majesty's Theatre? Tremendous.

My lovely, generous friend Annalies bought me a ticket to the show as part of my Christmas present - and we had second row seats (thankfully, as I had forgotten my spectacles) so we were in prime position for dramatic swinging chandeliers and... spittle (say it, don't spray it yo!)

One of the bestest, bestest things about London is the sheer volume and variety of gigs, exhibitions, and shows available for one's entertainment, like... all the time. Seven days a week. In New Zealand, we hold out for that One Big Gig of the Year when someone or something awesome comes to town. There's a whole culture of fantastic Kiwi entertainment to get stuck in to of course (and I LOVE New Zealand, just to clarify!) but here one is just... spoiled! for! choice!

Sofia Escobar, the young woman who played Christine was my highlight - huge voice, and totally gorgeous on stage. I had learned part of the 'score' (check me out, totes musical) to Phantom on piano when I was a kid, so it was pretty awesome to see it come to life on stage. I've had The Music of the Night in my head all day - so good. So, so good.

Thanks for an ace present Annalies, you're the bestest too.

2 comments:

Thanks for sharing your two cents!