Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Rebekah Lucy Loves Shrove Tuesday

Shrove Tuesday. Pancake Day. Pancake Tuesday. The Day Before Lent. Totally not a celebrated / participated thing in New Zealand. Or if it is a thing back home I totally missed the boat. Maybe that was just because in my uneducated youth I didn't appreciate a good pancake? Fool! Let me assure you that has very much changed. Savoury pancakes. Sweet pancakes. So many pancakes (well, two actually) in and around my mouth.

LP took the lead on organising, it's a bit of an annual tradition since she's lived here at The Massive and she happens to be supes skilled at flipping. Annalies isn't half bad at it either. I, on the other hand, am a disaster in the kitchen so I took care of other important tasks such as chopping aubergine and nectarine in to uneven chunks, and playing music, and pouring delicious bubbly drinks for people (elderflower and sparkling wine is possibly the greatest invention of all time, just so you know), and feeding the cat (Fatty George McSmudgens doesn't actually belong to us, nor live here, but... you know... technicalities...)

Like a boss.

At LP's expert recommendation, we adopted more of a wrap style technique so we could stuff lots of goodies inside the pancakes. Savoury stylings featured bacon, potato, aubergine, hollandaise sauce, tomato, avocado and camembert. Sweet included chocolate, marshmallow, nectarine, raspberry sauce, passionfruit and ice cream. Oh. My. Days. After two glasses of bubbly and two pancakes (plus all the accidental snacking as I chopped, I hate when that happens) I was full to the brim. But after a night's sleep and all of the digestion and what not I could totes go another round.

Savoury goodness. Jeal? You should be.

Hooray for pancakes!

Oink.

PS. Have given up cheese for Lent this year like some kind of actual idiot. May eat an entire block of cheddar on Easter Sunday to celebrate. That's the rules right? Who even knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your two cents!