Monday, January 14, 2013

Rebekah Lucy Loves Street Art

Sunday Morning Cabin Fever? Check. It was bleedin' freezin' outside yesterday but I decided to strap on my walking boots and head out to Shoreditch. It had been a while (I'm a Westie - you know, along with 99% of Australia and New Zealand), and I love wandering East London - people watching, taking in the street art sights, eating cupcakes, and snapping a gazillion photos.

Hummingbird Red Velvet. Spitalfields Standard Issue. Be jealous.
On one of my earlier East London Wandering Missions, I accidentally strolled down an alley (which is probably not recommended behaviour for Women On Their Lonesome to be honest) off Brick Lane and discovered The Horror Crew's gorgeous pink and blue balloon dogs. From time to time I head back to that same alley to see what's new - it's a rotating canvas of art. Unfortunately, no joy this time around and there was very little to look at - barring some fluorescent bones by SHOK-1. What is that about dear Horror Crew? I posted the remnants of their last work to Instagram and they've assured me they'll head back soon to do something new. Check me out, interacting with artists and what not.

Remnants of The Horror Crew. Brick Lane.

Bones by SHOK-1.
While I was loitering down said alley I clocked some new pasted-up phone booths featuring Marilyn and Riri, which it turns out are the work of new kid on the block, D7606.


Cute huh? Mr D7606 and I got to interacting on Instagram (I swear that thing is the best invention since sliced bread) and he has since made a phone booth print featuring none other than Yours Truly, which may or may not be starring on a wall near you (assuming 'near you' is equal to Manchester and / or London) in the not-too-distant future. Mum! Dad! I'm finally famous!

I also wandered past Eine's SCARY, without really even knowing where it was, so I'd chalk that up to a win. Beautiful isn't it?
Eine's SCARY.
Eine's lettering is such a simple concept, but I adore it. His HAPPY roller doors in Middlesex Street are my faaaaaave. He dotted the whole alphabet on doors in that block, and it is my London Life's Mission to catch the 'r' when the door is down so I can get a cheesy, thumbs-up photo alongside it. I'm all about Life's Big Issues, you know.

My last Sunday captures were a couple of my main man ROA's animals - the hedgehog in Chance Street, and the rat which lives on the back of The Bell in Middlesex.

ROA's hedgehog. Chance Street.

ROA's rat. Middlesex Street.
Crazy Animal Lover Lady says: squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

One thing I've learned living in London: less time staring at the pavement, more time looking up.

3 comments:

Thanks for sharing your two cents!