Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Rebekah Lucy Loves Reading Festival (and Eminem)

I kind of feel like one of those brides with the post-wedding blues. The Big Event has been and gone and now what? I mean, my parents arrive next week and then we’re going to Italy, so that’s actually more than plenty to be excited about (and I totally am!) but I’d been counting down to Eminem at the Reading Festival for more than like 250 days and now it’s all over and I’m a bit sad. Not sad because of him, sad because no more him. Or something. I’m so eloquent, me.

He was amazing. I held my place in that goddamn crowd for more than six hours and every fall, bruise, kick to the head (the sadist in me was holding out for a black eye but I just got a measly little cut), lost handbag, and spilled cup of water (on and around my head, largely) was worth it to finally see him do his thing. 14 years in the making. I don’t have an actual #bucketlist but if I was organised enough to think about things like that he definitely would have been on it. Maybe I'll publish one somewhere just to feel a sense of achievement when I pop a tick alongside his name?

Blurcore. But you get the idea. CLOSE.

Kill You, Like Toy Soldiers, and Till I Collapse were my absolute highlights. And honestly, what a babe.
Other good things happened too. Care to know more? Read on.
Emineggs benedict with prosecco and sunshine for breakfast, a bomb diggidy apartment, "is she a biker chick?", always with the festival Tuborg, Bastille doing City High’s What Would You Do, being blown away by System of a Down TWELVE YEARS (holy shit, how old am I?) after I first saw them live at Big Day Out, jumping around to Green Day with Rhys, sweating my face off with the girls at Skrillex, nearly being run over by two trucks ("WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH"), Random Talkative Man On The Side Of The Road thinks our names are Sarah, Jade, Alice, Sarah and Ryan, Angry Taxi Driver Number 1, Maccazzzzzzzzz, sleeping like a log.

Better than a golden ticket. Baby Seal Face and me.

Oh hai.
 
System of a Down. Still going strong.

This man had no clothes on. And did helicopters. If you know what I mean.

Tiny Annalies. Giant crowd.
Emineggs & bacon because that joke will be hilarious for the rest of our lives, #beaniebrigade and ponchos, grubby teenagers (jokes G, you’re lovely even when you’re unshowered), all of the wine and strawberries, Twin Atlantic and White Lies and The Foals, an actual bride in an actual wedding dress, sharing cigars and brandy & Coke in the crowd, weeing in paper cups, getting absolutely hammered during Chase & Status but still managing to sing along to No Problem and Time and Blind Faith and End Credits in between gasping for air and picking myself (and other people) up off the ground, THEN EMINEM WAS THERE (with Mr Porter and Royce Da 5’9 and Dido for crying out loud!), a lost handbag (I still had the strap so that’s… something?), grabby security guards, bruises “up the wazoo”, Doritos and pizza in bed, sleeping like a (pained, pained) log.

Green Day.

Teaminem 2013. See what we did there?

Rhys getting down to Twin Atlantic.

Crowded.

Aftermath. My shins. Worth it.

Summer in the UK.
A joyful reunion with my handbag and all of its contents (minus the cash) (but can you blame them?), a quick glimpse of The Lumineers, HAIM beatin’ on their drums, crappy merchandise (why do I do it to myself?), Fall Out Boy who were sahhhhhhh cool, Disclosure and a guest appearance from Sam Smith for Latch – so good!, Azalea Banks (I remain… unconvinced but well done on the weave love), then Billy Clifford Biffy Clyro (Dear Simon: never, ever put a shirt on. Ever.) who closed out the festival in super epic, sweaty style with Mountains,  Angry Taxi Driver Number 2, “Are you from Germany?”, discussing whether or not Scottish currency is legal tender in the middle of the road is potentially dangerous, pizza in bed (I detect a theme!), and wait for it… sleeping like a log. Seriously, if fatigue is what ails ya try getting smashed about in a crowd for hours on end – it is exhausting and painful and wonderful but mostly exhausting and painful.

Doing it for The 04. Teaminem 2013.
Teaminem2013, you are the best. I wouldn’t have had it any other way. X

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your two cents!