Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Rebekah Lucy Loves Random Little Treats

A summary of awesome things which have happened in and around London lately. Or... not so lately because this has been sitting in draft for about nine years now.

1. I turned 30. And it was painless. A sleep in, super thoughtful presents, cards and messages galore, flowers, a Hummingbird cupcake delivery, a frying pan and a bottle of bub shared with LP, Mexican and margaritas in Covent Garden with a dozen of my bestest ladies, a home made pavlova from Hobbs (go the Kiwiana!), shots and bubbles in Fulham and home to bed before I turned in to a pumpkin. I had a proper soiree in Camden a couple of weeks later too. With more of these awesome people I have somehow tricked in to being my friends. I wore a pink dress. Who am I?


 
 
 
2. I got a new tattoo. From Dan Smith. It's a little dedication to my lovely little family. And it's beautiful. Dan guests at The Family Business whenever he's in town and thanks to the wonder that is Instagram I spied that he was visiting in April, sent him an email as fast as my typing fingers would let me, and locked down an appointment. I met Dan at the London Tattoo Convention last year so I already knew he was a Cool Dude, but seriously - what a gem. We talked about New Zealand (natch), and other important things such as the magic roundabout in Swindon, and Embarrassing Bodies. The tattoo is amazing - I've never seen line work like it, crisp and clean and perfect. He's back in London in September, so... watch this space.

 
 

3. I started a new contract job at the Bank of England. The building is beautiful and immense, the role is busy (which is a good thing generally, I go a bit mental when I'm bored), and I've managed to not really get lost. Yet. I do have to spend half my time in the basement with the project team which is... less than ideal, but I haven't been this excited about a job in a long time.
 
4. I went on a random weekend jaunt to Slough (!) and Twyford for a wedding with Annalies. We hired a rental car (by the way if you're ever in a hybrid and it won't start, Annalies recommends simply tapping the battery) (it actually works) and stayed at a wee roadside hotel called the Wee Waif. It's slightly awkward when the only person you (vaguely) know is the groom, but we met some friendlies at the church, and after downing a bottle of wine in our hotel room we re-attached ourselves to them again at the reception. Nice people, weird music, tasty cupcakes, sweet moves (I may or may not have busted out The Robot) (I did) and booze: a recipe for success.

5. I went to Windsor. Annalies and I decided to make the most of the rental car and came home via Windsor. By the way, Windsor is cute! Annalies had already been to the castle so we didn't go in (add it to the UK Bucket List, my brother's here in June so...), instead we wandered along the river, ate ice cream, snapped photos and bought pencils (her, not me) on the main street, had a drink at The Two Brewers where Zinzan is rumoured to be a regular (no luck), and walked part of The Long Walk. It's a walk. And it's long. Before we dropped the car back we picked up Jenny and zoomed through Hyde Park and up to Primrose Hill to take more photos, do roly polys (me) and pole dance on a lamp post (Jenny). Standard.

 

 
6. I saw Phoenix live with LP. They were awesome. If you don't believe me, just ask Party Dave who danced and fist-pumped out of time for the duration of the gig.


7. I went to the ANZAC dawn service at Hyde Park. I'm really glad I did it too. (Gallipoli next year me thinks.) The excerpts from letters and diaries were very moving and the haka was amazing, but the haka is always pretty amazing. Kudos to my new friend Sarah for phoning to wake me up too. Seriously though, 4am. Come on.

8. I went to David Bowie Is at the Victoria and Albert museum. Annalies gets a few sweet perks with her job, so we were able to see the exhibition, go to a comedy lecture presented by Adam Buxton of BUG (so good, Google him) and have a cocktail on the house. Mine was a Stardust Royale, hers a Life on Mars. The bartenders only took about 17 attempts to mix mine. (Long story.) (At least they were pretty?) The exhibition was extraordinary - an amazing collection of his costumes, particularly from the Ziggy Stardust and Aladdin Sane eras when Kansai Yamamoto was responsible for much of his costuming. Some of it was absolutely batshit, like Gaga meets Swinton. Before Gaga or Swinton. The whole exhibition is interactive, so we were kitted out with headsets which played different narrative or music, depending on which display we were facing. Some of the photography was exceptional too. And I saw the crystal from Labyrinth. Get in!



9. I met Milo. X

1 comment:

Thanks for sharing your two cents!